Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Week In Review and Going Forward


I won’t lie...I’ve been a little crabby this week.  All of that talk about our astrological signs changing...I think it’s a load of crap.  People who fall under the Cancer sign (me) are known to be moody and emotional.

I know that about myself and I embrace it.  No one can tell me now that I’m a Virgo.  They’re too nice.

This week, I was excited to receive in the mail the magnetic badges I had ordered for www.theWiddahood.com to put on my car.  They look really good and I was so thrilled now that everywhere I went, I could let people know that we are out there.  Every time I stopped at a stoplight and saw someone on their cellphone behind me, I imagined that they were immediately calling their friend in Texas or somewhere, telling them about this miraculous new website.

That optimistic outlook lasted for about 4 hours until I realized I better start paying attention to how I drive.  Because then I started envisioning someone writing into The Denver Post saying, “Have you seen that minivan from theWiddahood.com??  That woman is a menace the way she drives!”

I thought my driving should become friendlier due to the advertisement I was wearing.  Because it always seems like it’s the people with the “Coexist” bumper stickers who cut you off in traffic and steal your parking spots.

I decided my driving should be more “giving” in a way because of my new badge.  And I’ve decided not to dwell on the incident yesterday when some idiot passed me and about 50 other cars, swerving over a double yellow line...while I yelled at him and laid on my horn, scaring the crap out of my kids in the backseat.

Now that I think about it though...that really did make perfect sense.  The way he was driving he was probably about to make someone a widow somewhere.

Anyway...back to my crankiness.

I woke up this morning thinking, “I’m going to make this a good day.  I’m going to go get a Starbucks and actually read the paper this morning and take some time for myself.”

On my way back from taking my youngest to school, I thought, in an effort to make it a good day, I would stop and get a carwash so that I could actually see the people I was cutting off with my new theWiddahood.com badge.

I whipped into the carwash, dashed into the grocery store to get my Starbucks, and at the last minute decided to treat myself to some fresh flowers.  I was feeling so very “Meg Ryan-ish” as I walked back to my car, Starbucks in one hand, cute little mums in the other, when I noticed something.

The badge was gone.

Damn car wash.

All I could think was, “Well...there’s $5 down the drain.  Literally.”

But no.  This was not going to squash my mood.  I was going to make this a good day.  I have an extra badge.  It’s okay.  Not a big deal.

Hopped back in my car to head home and then it hits.  And I mean hits.

Huge rock + windshield = large chip.

I will admit at that point the F word did cross my lips...and not as in, “Fank you.”

So now here I am...doing what I really enjoy...writing to you.  And trying to make it a good day.

Of course, in the middle or writing this, I got the “blue screen of death.”

“Fank you” again.

I’ve been thinking about doing something a little different with my blog for the month of February.  Almost every day I post a quotation on the Widow Chick Facebook page.  Sometimes people like them, sometimes they don’t.  Most of the time I try and find quotes that I think are applicable to our lives now or can make us think of our lives now in a different way.  I like to post things that are funny or that might just make everyone feel good at the start of their day.

And then some days I’ll post something I know some people will disagree with.  Mainly because I think it’s important that we can share our views and I know that every once in awhile someone will post a comment that will make another person think, “Huh.  I’ve never thought about it like that before.”

And I, personally, love it when that happens.

I sometimes wonder, though, how many times someone will hit “like” without really thinking about why.  I mean, sure, there are always quotes that just upon reading them you know they’re right or meaningful.  But I really wish everyone would take a minute and think about why and how that quote applies to them on a more personal level.

So, for the month of February, I’m going to write about quotes that stand out to me and why they do.  It could be a story about my past.  It could be something I hope to do in the future.  And, as what happens with most of the blogs I write...who knows where it will go?

I’ve done this exercise before in writing seminars.  What’s usually interesting is that everyone has a time limit (like 10 minutes) and you just have to write what comes.  I am constantly shocked at the things I write and have learned so much about myself and my thought processes.  And it usually hits home when I have to read it out loud.  I end up thinking, “Did that really come out of my head??”

I encourage you to do this with me.  You don’t have to write, just think about it a little bit more than you have in the past.  If you’d like to, feel free to write how you interpret the quote I’ve posted and how it applies to you.  I find it interesting that one simple sentence can sometimes say so much about who we were, who we are now, and who we want to be.

So, to get us started, I’m posting a few quotes that I’ve posted in the past that seemed the “most popular.”

Just think about it.

"May I never miss a sunset or a rainbow because I am looking down."
---Sara June Parker

 

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else." --Charles Dickens

 

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
--Steve Jobs




For more blogs and articles from other widow(er) writers, join us at www.theWiddahood.com!  


© Catherine Tidd 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment